Top 3 Mental Health Diagnoses in Women
By: Hailey Robertson
The top 3 mental health diagnoses in women are Anxiety, Depression, and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.
- Anxiety and other specific phobias: women are twice as likely to have a panic disorder, generalized anxiety, and specific phobias than men.
- Depression: Women are twice as likely as men to be diagnosed with depression.
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD): Women are twice as likely to be diagnosed with PTSD following a traumatic event than men.
What is Anxiety?
Generalized Anxiety Disorder is marked by excessive, exaggerated anxiety and worry about everyday life events for no obvious reason.
Symptoms include: feeling restless, easily fatigued, irritability, constant feelings of worry, etc.
- 1 in 5 women develop anxiety in the United States
What is Depression?
Major Depressive Disorder is a mood disorder that causes a persistent feeling of sadness and loss of interest.
Symptoms include: feelings of sadness, hopelessness, angry outbursts, loss of interest, sleep disturbances, lack of energy, reduced appetite, trouble thinking, etc.
- 1 in 8 women develop depression in the United States
What is PTSD?
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is a mental health disorder that is triggered by a traumatic event.
Symptoms include: recurrent unwanted distressing memories, reliving traumatic events, upsetting dreams or nightmares, severe emotional distress, etc.
- 10% of women have PTSD sometime in their lives
Resources for help:
-Psychiatry: A psychiatrist can allow you to get the medications needed to treat your disorder.
-Therapy: A therapist can allow you to process your diagnoses and receive techniques available to use for treatment
-Support: A Client Support Specialist can allow you to build skills needed to help reduce the effects of your disorder
3 most common mental health disorders in America. Access Community Health Network. (n.d.). Retrieved April 26, 2022, from https://www.achn.net/about-access/whats-new/health-resources/3-most-common-mental-health-disorders-in-america/
Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research. (n.d.). Mayo Clinic. Retrieved April 26, 2022, from https://www.mayoclinic.org/
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!